The Skinny is an independent, creative company that seeks to connect curious readers with interesting artists and events. We have 21 employees and up to 350 freelance contributors at any one time. We aim to offer freedom within your role to work towards our company goals and business vision.
We are looking for a driven, creative individual to join our management team and provide the organisational savvy and accounting firepower to drive the business forwards.
The General Manager is primarily responsible for HR support, financial oversight and management of the relationships with Radge Media’s key suppliers.
You will be responsible for improving performance, efficiency and profitability through the implementation of effective methods and strategies. You will work alongside the Editor-in-chief and the Media Sales Manager, oversee the company’s Bookkeeper and provide advice and guidance on future operational development and financial plans.
The goal of this role is ultimately to enable the company’s leaders to make sound business decisions and meet The Skinny’s development objectives alongside those of other Radge Media products including Fest.
Role and responsibilities
HR: Recruitment support, contracting of company and project staff, holidays and sickness, travel.
Operations management: Managing relations with key suppliers inc. print, distribution, legal and accounting.
Office management: Contact point for communications services inc phone and internet contracts, landlords, office equipment.
Money management: Monitor the books, cash flow and payroll.
- * At least two years proven experience as a manager or similar role in a small-medium arts/culture/media business, covering the duties above.
- * Proficient user of finance software (The Skinny uses Xero).
- * Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- * Demonstrable experience working with external suppliers
- * A solid understanding of financial statistics and accounting principles.
- * Budget development, forecasting and oversight experience.
- * Strong IT skills (databases, MS Office, and Google Drive products).
- * Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organisation.
- * Leadership and organisational skills.
The General Manager role will sit aside the Editorial and Sales teams at Radge Media and will be required to have a meaningful understanding of the varying demands of the teams.
To apply: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV along with a cover letter (maximum one page) explaining how you meet the specified criteria and why you are attracted to the role.
Hours: Full time, based in our Edinburgh office.
Salary: £22-25,000 based on experience
**DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Midnight Sunday 26 May**
The Skinny has been writing about television in earnest for quite a while now, but we're currently on the hunt for writers who are especially keen to write about the most innovative and exciting work happening in the world of television and streaming today.
Do you feel that television deserves as much reverence and critical attention as movies? Would you like to go deep on your latest binge watch? Can you say something that's interesting and new about the latest episode of Game of Thrones? Do you have a love for classic television of yesteryear as well as a handle on where the medium is at now and where it might be heading in the 21st century? If so, you could be perfect for The Skinny's TV section.
If you're interested in writing about television for The Skinny, please send an email to email@example.com telling us why you'd make a good television critic for The Skinny, and please include a few samples of your writing. Any questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking to make a bit of extra cash this festival season? Passionate about the arts, particularly during the madness of the Edinburgh Fringe? Fest Magazine is looking for a driven, enthusiastic media sales executive on a fixed term contract over June, July and August 2019.
Fest occupies a leading position in the Fringe marketplace. We need someone who understands promoters, producers and publicists at the idiosyncratic Edinburgh festivals. The ideal candidate will be able to speak confidently about the magazine’s print and digital marketing opportunities, and the benefits they can bring to artists, brands and local businesses.
The role will involve:
*Navigating the Fringe programme and other promotional materials to identify new business opportunities
*Cold calling and emailing
*Managing your own diary to get out and about to meetings and client networking events - outside normal working hours when needed
*Presenting and introducing Fest and its platforms both on the phone, via email and in person
*Maintaining a well organised and up to date CRM on a daily basis
*Writing proposals and quoting bespoke packages
*Negotiating rates and commitment deals
*Working to targets
Essential Skills and Experience
*Experience in selling and negotiating
*Proficient computer literacy, with good working knowledge of Google Drive and Gmail
*Knowledge of the Edinburgh Fringe and Edinburgh International Festival or similar multi-arts festivals
Desirable Skills and Experience
*Experience in professional media sales
*Experience using a CRM system
*Use of own laptop would also be a bonus
*A good team player, with strong relationship building skills
*Positive and friendly attitude
*Comfortable with speaking on the phone and at meetings
*Experienced in problem solving, with the ability to handle complex client requests at first point of contact
*Determined to grow Fest’s brand and target driven
*Able to work well under pressure and to deadline
Hours: The role is part time (3 days) for 4 weeks, full time for 5 weeks, 17 Jun - 16 Aug, and based out of our Edinburgh office.
Salary: £8.25/hour for 9 weeks fixed contract, plus commission
Send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com along with five examples of clients you would approach for Fest’s back covers.
DEADLINE: MIDNIGHT MONDAY 27 MAY 2019
Fest is looking for a graphic designer to manage layout for print for six issues of Fest in July and August 2019. They will be based in the Fest Edinburgh office in the heart of the world famous Edinburgh Festivals.
We need someone who can work quickly and accurately to lay out the magazine to template, working to tight deadlines. We want someone with a keen eye for detail who can problem solve, and think creatively to present the content in the slickest way possible even when time is tight.
The person we are looking for must have experience in:
Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign and Photoshop
Working in design for publishing
Working to deadlines
We would be delighted if they were experienced in:
CSS and HTML
This is a fixed-term contract for £1300.
If you would like to apply, please send a CV, a cover letter and two examples of your design work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention Fest Artworker in the subject line.
*DEADLINE: 9am Monday 27 May*
The Skinny, Scotland’s largest culture and listings magazine is well established as the voice of Scottish culture to the 18-35 year old market across Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee for the past eleven years.
To complement the core team and further expand our client base focusing on the Scottish cultural industries, we are looking to grow our sales team and are on the hunt for a talented sales executive based in Glasgow. This role will be based out of a hot-desking environment in Glasgow 3-4 days per week, with 1-2 days based at Head Office in Edinburgh.
The role will involve:
- *Cold calling and proactively sourcing new business leads.
- *Keeping up to date with cultural events and openings in the region to identify sales leads.
- *Managing existing client relationships to identify sales opportunities, including upselling on a regular basis.
- *Managing your own diary to get out and about to meetings and client networking events. Outside normal working hours when needed.
- *Presenting and introducing The Skinny and its platforms both on the phone and in person
- *Maintaining a well organised and up to date CRM on a daily basis.
- *Writing proposals and quoting bespoke packages in The Skinny, www.theskinny.co.uk, The Skinny ZAP! and our other publications including annual Student Handbook, Fest and ad hoc projects.
- *Negotiating rates and commitment deals.
- *Identifying and developing long term media partnerships.
Essential Skills and Experience
- *Extensive experience in professional media sales within the past 3 years, with a minimum one year's accountable track record across print and digital media platforms
- *Experience using a CRM system
- *Experience working with media buying agencies
- *A strong understanding of the media environment in the UK, especially that which targets trend-setting audiences
- *Proficient computer literacy, with good working knowledge of Google Drive and Gmail
- *New business and account management experience with the ability to approach and understand the marketing needs of a wide range of clients
Desirable Skills and Experience
- *Experience with online advert servers (Doubleclick For Publishers) and print pageplans would be a bonus
- *Existing regional advertising contacts and relationships
- *A good team player, with strong relationship building skills
- *Self starter
- *Positive and friendly attitude
- *Comfortable with speaking on the phone, at meetings and larger presentations
- *Experienced in problem solving, with the ability to handle complex client requests at first point of contact
- *Determined to grow The Skinny’s brand and target driven
- *Able to work well under pressure and to deadline
- *Have a keen sense of culture with an awareness of events in Scotland and beyond
The Skinny prides itself on being forward thinking, supporting emerging talent and developing strong relations across Scotland.
If you think you have what it takes to join Scotland’s leading culture and listings magazine, are keen to make the role your own, and become part of an ever expanding team and a strong creative community then we would love to hear from you.
To apply please send us your CV with a cover letter outlining how you meet the role description and person specification via email to: email@example.com
Salary: £18k plus commission structure
The Skinny is your magazine: a collaborative effort, it’s put together by people who love their region and its culture, for people who love their region and its culture – and our contributors are known for having something new to say as well as a passion for their areas of expertise.
We are looking for writers, illustrators and photographers on an ongoing basis to help make The Skinny an informed, inspiring, witty and opinionated collection of the voices and talents that makes Scotland such an exciting place to be.
With 35,000+ copies distributed to more than 650 venues, The Skinny gives writers a platform to get their voice heard, and illustrators and photographers an opportunity to showcase their work and build their portfolio.
If you’re a writer: Please introduce yourself to the relevant section editor – see contact details here – and send them two or three samples of your work.
If you’re an illustrator or photographer: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'Contributor: illustrator' or 'Contributor: photographer' and let us know your area of expertise/interest (e.g. perhaps you’re a fashion photographer, or would like to try more live music photography) – and please link us to your portfolio where possible rather than attaching large files.