The Skinny is an independent, creative company that seeks to connect curious readers with interesting artists and events. We have 21 employees and up to 350 freelance contributors at any one time. We aim to offer freedom within your role to work towards our company goals and business vision.
We’re looking to take on a bookkeeper to support our Publisher who manages the in-house components of Radge Media’s bookkeeping.
You will assist with:
* Customer ledger - Maintenance of our contact database, creation of all invoices from our in-house CRM to Xero (about 100-150 every month), debt chasing on overdue advertising invoices via phone and email, and sending reminder statements by email every month.
* Supplier ledger - Entry of all purchases from paper and email on Xero, staff expenses management, payroll management / freelancer invoices, checking and processing freelancer invoices for payment, identifying when individuals need to be added to payroll and coordinating P45s/new starts checklists.
* Reconciling on Xero - Matching bank entries with customer and supplier ledgers.
* Team support - Assisting on in-house queries from the Sales Team regarding customer accounts, updating the sales team with a monthly report on overdue clients, and related financial and administration tasks as required
* Month to month these duties will be for The Skinny’s main print and digital platforms, in the summer months we also produce additional publications that require mirrored support.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced candidate who should have the following:
* At least one year’s bookkeeping/accounts administrator/accounts assistant experience, ideally within the a small to medium cultural/arts/media business (recent graduates and freelance professionals are also welcome to apply).
* A relevant degree or accountancy qualification (optional, although preferred)
* A sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office and accountancy software, we use Xero and on the job training will be provided.
This is a great opportunity to make an impression in a small, dynamic team. You will largely be working independently with flexible hours so you must be self-motivated, with a high attention to accuracy and be confident working under your own steam. This is a permanent position. You will be located in our Edinburgh office and required to work 24 hours/week.
To apply please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV along with a cover letter. The Skinny is a living wage employer, salary will be paid at £15,000 pro rata.
**DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 5pm Friday 24 August**
Looking to make a bit of extra cash this festival season? Passionate about the arts, particularly during the madness of the Adelaide Fringe and Adelaide Festival? Fest Magazine is looking for a driven, enthusiastic media sales executive on a fixed term contract over December 2018 and January 2019.
Fest has occupied a leading position in the Edinburgh festival marketplace for 17 years, and after a successful debut year in Adelaide 2018, we’re keen to grow as a business in 2019. We need someone who is knowledgeable about local and national promoters, producers and publicists during Mad March. The ideal candidate will be able to speak confidently about the magazine’s print and digital marketing opportunities, and the benefits they can bring to artists, brands and local businesses.
The role will involve:
*Navigating the Fringe programme and other promotional materials to identify new business opportunities
*Cold calling and emailing
*Managing your own diary to get out and about to meetings and client networking events - outside normal working hours when needed
*Presenting and introducing Fest and its platforms over the phone, via email, and in person
*Maintaining a well organised and up to date CRM on a daily basis
*Writing proposals and quoting bespoke packages
*Negotiating rates and commitment deals
*Working to targets
Essential Skills and Experience
*Experience in selling and negotiating
*Proficient computer literacy, with good working knowledge of Google Drive and Gmail
*Knowledge of the Adelaide Fringe, Adelaide Festival or other multi-arts festivals
Desirable Skills and Experience
*Experience in professional media sales
*Experience using a CRM system
*Experience with online advert servers (Google Ad Manager) and print pageplans would be a bonus
*Use of own laptop would also be a bonus
*A good team player, with strong relationship-building skills
*Positive and friendly attitude
*Comfortable with speaking on the phone and at meetings
*Experienced in problem solving, with the ability to handle complex client requests at first point of contact
*Determined to grow Fest’s brand and target driven
*Able to work well under pressure and to deadline
Hours: The role is full time, 8 weeks, 26 Nov-21 Dec 2018, 7 Jan-1 Feb 2019, working remotely.
Salary: $18.29/hour, 8 weeks fixed contract, plus commission
To apply, send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com along with five examples of clients you would approach for Fest’s back covers.
**DEADLINE MIDNIGHT (GMT) SUNDAY 28 OCTOBER**
Fest, the biggest free guide to the Edinburgh festivals, is coming back to Australia to report on the Adelaide Fringe and Adelaide Festival for the second time.
Radge Media is looking for a commissioning editor to assist in the production of Fest for the 2019 festivals. The commissioning editor will communicate a vision of Fest under their editorship, reflecting the relevant cultural areas in an open and accessible tone which engages with a local audience. The commissioning editor will recruit and manage a team of contributors to ensure coverage of the Adelaide Fringe and Festival is as exhaustive as possible. This requires planning and commissioning all content for each of the four issues of Fest's printed magazine and for fest-mag.com, and creating and managing a review schedule.
The Adelaide festivals are world-renowned, and Fest will be a key reviewing presence. The Fest commissioning editor must therefore act as a figurehead for the magazine in an industry setting. The Fest commissioning editor must also work closely with the Director to explore means to develop the Fest brand in Adelaide and beyond.
The successful candidate will be dynamic, sociable, and able to work effectively under pressure. The candidate will be able to meet the changing demands of the festival environment, all while maintaining Fest’s leading position in the marketplace.
Key skills and experience
- Well versed in the performing arts, particularly in an Australian context
- Impeccable spelling and grammar, with a strong command of local vernacular
- Experience with Google Drive, particularly spreadsheets, or other cloud computing services such as DropBox
- Excellent organisational and scheduling skills, able to work flexibly in a fast-paced environment
- Extensive experience attending and ideally covering the Adelaide Fringe and Festival
- Well-connected and able to maintain good relationships with publicists, particularly in the arts festival environment
- Able to balance the editorial vision of the publication with the commercial needs of the company
- Experience managing editorial budgets and working with freelancers
This is a fixed term contract: full time over the festival period (mid-February to mid-March 2019), and candidates must also be available for remote planning and commissioning November 2018 - January 2019. The fee is AU$3,500.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and covering letter.
Application deadline midnight (GMT) Sunday 21 October 2018.
The Skinny, Scotland’s largest culture and listings magazine is well established as the voice of Scottish culture to the 18-35 year old market across Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee for the past eleven years.
To complement the core team and further expand our client base focusing on the Scottish cultural industries, we are looking to grow our sales team and are on the hunt for talented sales executives based in either Edinburgh or Glasgow.
The role will involve:
- *Cold calling and proactively sourcing new business leads.
- *Keeping up to date with cultural events and openings in the region to identify sales leads.
- *Managing existing client relationships to identify sales opportunities, including upselling on a regular basis.
- *Managing your own diary to get out and about to meetings and client networking events. Outside normal working hours when needed.
- *Presenting and introducing The Skinny and its platforms both on the phone and in person
- *Maintaining a well organised and up to date CRM on a daily basis.
- *Writing proposals and quoting bespoke packages in The Skinny, www.theskinny.co.uk, The Skinny ZAP! and our other publications including annual Student Handbook, Fest and ad hoc projects.
- *Negotiating rates and commitment deals.
- *Identifying and developing long term media partnerships.
Essential Skills and Experience
- *Extensive experience in professional media sales within the past 3 years, with a minimum one year's accountable track record across print and digital media platforms
- *Experience using a CRM system
- *Experience working with media buying agencies
- *A strong understanding of the media environment in the UK, especially that which targets trend-setting audiences
- *Proficient computer literacy, with good working knowledge of Google Drive and Gmail
- *New business and account management experience with the ability to approach and understand the marketing needs of a wide range of clients
Desirable Skills and Experience
- *Experience with online advert servers (Doubleclick For Publishers) and print pageplans would be a bonus
- *Existing regional advertising contacts and relationships
- *A good team player, with strong relationship building skills
- *Self starter
- *Positive and friendly attitude
- *Comfortable with speaking on the phone, at meetings and larger presentations
- *Experienced in problem solving, with the ability to handle complex client requests at first point of contact
- *Determined to grow The Skinny’s brand and target driven
- *Able to work well under pressure and to deadline
- *Have a keen sense of culture with an awareness of events in Scotland and beyond
The Skinny prides itself on being forward thinking, supporting emerging talent and developing strong relations across Scotland.
If you think you have what it takes to join Scotland’s leading culture and listings magazine, are keen to make the role your own, and become part of an ever expanding team and a strong creative community then we would love to hear from you.
To apply please send us your CV with a cover letter outlining how you meet the role description and person specification via email to: email@example.com
Salary: c.£20k+ OTE
The Skinny is your magazine: a collaborative effort, it’s put together by people who love their region and its culture, for people who love their region and its culture – and our contributors are known for having something new to say as well as a passion for their areas of expertise.
We are looking for writers, illustrators and photographers on an ongoing basis to help make The Skinny an informed, inspiring, witty and opinionated collection of the voices and talents that makes Scotland such an exciting place to be.
With 35,000+ copies distributed to more than 650 venues, The Skinny gives writers a platform to get their voice heard, and illustrators and photographers an opportunity to showcase their work and build their portfolio.
If you’re a writer: Please introduce yourself to the relevant section editor – see contact details here – and send them two or three samples of your work.
If you’re an illustrator or photographer: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'Contributor: illustrator' or 'Contributor: photographer' and let us know your area of expertise/interest (e.g. perhaps you’re a fashion photographer, or would like to try more live music photography) – and please link us to your portfolio where possible rather than attaching large files.