The Skinny is an independent, creative company that seeks to connect curious readers with interesting artists and events. We have 21 employees and up to 350 freelance contributors at any one time. We aim to offer freedom within your role to work towards our company goals and business vision.
The Skinny seeks an Events editor for Scotland, to be based in our Edinburgh office at Summerhall. They will be responsible for the collation and upload of events listings; the creation of the Zap, the weekly top ten events email; and writing the monthly Heads Up calendar for the print magazine.
We need someone who is highly organised, loves lists and enjoys a good spreadsheet but can also write fluently and eloquently. Our events listings need to reach the widest possible audience, so a knowledge of writing for online is required.
The nature of the job means that the editor must be able to alter their writing style, employing both an engaging personality-filled tone (in the Zap, and Heads Up) and a more pared-down summarising style where appropriate. A working knowledge of SEO best practice is desirable, as is experience in digital engagement.
We need someone who has a highly trained eye for detail who cares about going the extra mile to get the job done to the highest possible standard. They will have a passion for and a good knowledge of cultural events in the area, and will take pride in researching what's going on in venues across the cities in order to communicate the information to our readers.
* Excellent working knowledge of Excel or equivalent spreadsheet package.
* Experience of using content management systems.
* Editing / writing skills – proven ability to produce clean, accurate copy.
* Experience writing for web.
* Excellent communications skills.
* A keen eye for detail.
* Passion for culture.
* Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
* Highly self-motivated with impeccable time management skills.
Anticipated start date: Late February 2020
This role is full time, permanent with salary of £17,500 per year.
To apply: Send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org along with two writing samples – one 100-word event preview and one 250-word review of a venue of your choice. Please include Events Editor in the email subject line.
Deadline: Midnight, Sunday 19 January
The Skinny has been writing about television in earnest for quite a while now, but we're currently on the hunt for writers who are especially keen to write about the most innovative and exciting work happening in the world of television and streaming today.
Do you feel that television deserves as much reverence and critical attention as movies? Would you like to go deep on your latest binge watch? Can you say something that's interesting and new about the latest episode of Game of Thrones? Do you have a love for classic television of yesteryear as well as a handle on where the medium is at now and where it might be heading in the 21st century? If so, you could be perfect for The Skinny's TV section.
If you're interested in writing about television for The Skinny, please send your pitches to email@example.com, and please include a few samples of your writing. Features and opinion pieces are paid for; there is a small budget for reviews too. Any questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Skinny, Scotland’s largest culture and listings magazine is well established as the voice of Scottish culture to the 18-35 year old market across Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee for the past fourteen years.
To complement the core team and further expand our client base focusing on the Scottish cultural industries, we are looking to grow our sales team and are on the hunt for talented sales executives based in Edinburgh or Glasgow.
You will work within and alongside our established sales team, and the role will involve:
- *Building commercial relationships with brands, businesses and events
*Identifying and approaching potential revenue leads so you can introduce The Skinny as a brand and advertising platform
- *Securing new business for The Skinny across core platforms - print, online and newsletter
- *Using your knowledge of the platforms to create effective, exciting campaigns for clients to help them achieve their marketing goals
- *Communicating with clients and potential clients via email, telephone and face to face
- *Also selling our seasonal titles including our Student Supplement and Fest Magazine
- *Managing your diary through our bespoke CRM system
- *Identifying and managing media partnerships throughout the year to help grow The Skinny brand and audience
We are looking for an individual who:
- *Has an understanding of the cultural landscape in Scotland and an awareness of cultural events
- *Has experience working within the arts sector, with experience in a sales role preferable
- *Is equally capable of working on their own or as part of a small team
- *Comfortable speaking to and presenting to clients in person and over the telephone
- *Has strong relationship building skills *Are able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- *Has proficient computer literacy, with a strong working knowledge of Google Drive, Gmail and Microsoft Word/Excel
The Skinny prides itself on being forward thinking, supporting emerging talent and developing strong relations across Scotland.
If you think you have what it takes to join Scotland’s leading culture and listings magazine, are keen to make the role your own, and become part of an ever expanding team and a strong creative community then we would love to hear from you.
To apply please send us your CV with a cover letter outlining how you meet the role description and person specification via email to: email@example.com
Salary: £18k plus uncapped commission structure
Closing date: Sunday 17 November 2019
The Skinny is your magazine: a collaborative effort, it’s put together by people who love their region and its culture, for people who love their region and its culture – and our contributors are known for having something new to say as well as a passion for their areas of expertise.
We are looking for writers, illustrators and photographers on an ongoing basis to help make The Skinny an informed, inspiring, witty and opinionated collection of the voices and talents that makes Scotland such an exciting place to be.
With 35,000+ copies distributed to more than 650 venues, The Skinny gives writers a platform to get their voice heard, and illustrators and photographers an opportunity to showcase their work and build their portfolio.
If you’re a writer: Please introduce yourself to the relevant section editor – see contact details here – and send them two or three samples of your work.
If you’re an illustrator or photographer: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'Contributor: illustrator' or 'Contributor: photographer' and let us know your area of expertise/interest (e.g. perhaps you’re a fashion photographer, or would like to try more live music photography) – and please link us to your portfolio where possible rather than attaching large files.