The Skinny is an independent, creative company that seeks to connect curious readers with interesting artists and events. We have 21 employees and up to 350 freelance contributors at any one time. We aim to offer freedom within your role to work towards our company goals and business vision.
We're looking for passionate, informed freelance critics to review shows and write features for Fest at the Adelaide Fringe and Adelaide Festival.
We want writers who are engaged and engaging, capable of analysing performance and communicating their opinions succinctly and vividly. We need expertise in comedy, theatre, cabaret, circus, music and beyond. Fest publishes writing that is knowledgeable yet accessible, geared towards attracting a diverse local readership.
We work to tight deadlines with a high bar of quality and criticism. We expect a quick turnaround on reviews, and a high level of integrity in our contributors.
Fest has a strong journalistic reputation back in Edinburgh and it's important for us to maintain that quality in our new home in Adelaide. We can't do that without talented, driven writers who know the Australian arts festival scene (ideally with prior experience at the Adelaide festivals).
If you're interested, please send a CV, some examples of your writing and a feature pitch for this year's Adelaide festivals to email@example.com
Per-article payment is offered.
The Skinny, Scotland’s largest culture and listings magazine is well established as the voice of Scottish culture to the 18-35 year old market across Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee for the past eleven years.
To complement the core team and further expand our client base focusing on the Scottish cultural industries, we are looking to grow our sales team and are on the hunt for a talented sales executive based in Edinburgh. The role will primarily be based in Edinburgh, but we are open to an outstanding candidate based in Glasgow, working from Edinburgh 2 days per week.
The role will involve:
- *Cold calling and proactively sourcing new business leads.
- *Keeping up to date with cultural events and openings in the region to identify sales leads.
- *Managing existing client relationships to identify sales opportunities, including upselling on a regular basis.
- *Managing your own diary to get out and about to meetings and client networking events. Outside normal working hours when needed.
- *Presenting and introducing The Skinny and its platforms both on the phone and in person
- *Maintaining a well organised and up to date CRM on a daily basis.
- *Writing proposals and quoting bespoke packages in The Skinny, www.theskinny.co.uk, The Skinny ZAP! and our other publications including annual Student Handbook, Fest and ad hoc projects.
- *Negotiating rates and commitment deals.
- *Identifying and developing long term media partnerships.
Essential Skills and Experience
- *Extensive experience in professional media sales within the past 3 years, with a minimum one year's accountable track record across print and digital media platforms
- *Experience using a CRM system
- *Experience working with media buying agencies
- *A strong understanding of the media environment in the UK, especially that which targets trend-setting audiences
- *Proficient computer literacy, with good working knowledge of Google Drive and Gmail
- *New business and account management experience with the ability to approach and understand the marketing needs of a wide range of clients
Desirable Skills and Experience
- *Experience with online advert servers (Doubleclick For Publishers) and print pageplans would be a bonus
- *Existing regional advertising contacts and relationships
- *A good team player, with strong relationship building skills
- *Self starter
- *Positive and friendly attitude
- *Comfortable with speaking on the phone, at meetings and larger presentations
- *Experienced in problem solving, with the ability to handle complex client requests at first point of contact
- *Determined to grow The Skinny’s brand and target driven
- *Able to work well under pressure and to deadline
- *Have a keen sense of culture with an awareness of events in Scotland and beyond
The Skinny prides itself on being forward thinking, supporting emerging talent and developing strong relations across Scotland.
If you think you have what it takes to join Scotland’s leading culture and listings magazine, are keen to make the role your own, and become part of an ever expanding team and a strong creative community then we would love to hear from you.
To apply please send us your CV with a cover letter outlining how you meet the role description and person specification via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary: c.£20k+ OTE
The Skinny is looking to add to its team covering the upcoming Glasgow Film Festival (21 Feb-2 Mar) with film writers keen to report from GFF with reviews, features and interviews.
Are you passionate about cinema, as interested in the latest Hollywood and arthouse fare as you are about emerging voices from home and abroad? Can you write in an illuminating and entertaining fashion about cinema? Is your film analysis both funny and forensic? Do you know your Kiarostami from your Kaurismäki? If so, you could be the film writer for us.
To apply: If you’re interested in joining The Skinny’s film team for GFF and beyond, please send an email to our film editor, Jamie Dunn (email@example.com), with a few writing samples that best reflect your critical writing, as well as a few lines about yourself and your interest in cinema. Those specifically interested in covering GFF should also include details of their availability during the festival, which runs 21 Feb-2 Mar.
Application deadline 5pm Monday 29 Jan 2018
The Skinny is looking for a selection of new venues editors to oversee the writing and creation of venue profiles on our website, for our Dundee city section in Scotland. We need people who are confident and accurate writers, with an engaging style, and a wide knowledge of the venues in their specialist city.
The successful applicants will be expected to generate profiles quickly, in an informative – but not overly-opinionated – way, ensuring that each profile provides useful information for readers looking for somewhere to eat, drink and be merry. There will also be occasional opportunities to compile articles about local venues and events. Applicants should have an awareness of The Skinny's house style and be comfortable carrying out research, and communicating with venues directly to source information and imagery where appropriate. You can see existing examples of venue descriptions here.
This is a voluntary position. We would expect our venues editors to be producing around 5-10 venue profiles of 150 words each per month.
Sound like something you’d like to do? Email a CV and some samples of writing to firstname.lastname@example.org (Scotland).
The Skinny is your magazine: a collaborative effort, it’s put together by people who love their region and its culture, for people who love their region and its culture – and our contributors are known for having something new to say as well as a passion for their areas of expertise.
We are looking for writers, illustrators and photographers on an ongoing basis to help make The Skinny an informed, inspiring, witty and opinionated collection of the voices and talents that makes Scotland such an exciting place to be.
With 35,000+ copies distributed to more than 650 venues, The Skinny gives writers a platform to get their voice heard, and illustrators and photographers an opportunity to showcase their work and build their portfolio.
If you’re a writer: Please introduce yourself to the relevant section editor – see contact details here – and send them two or three samples of your work.
If you’re an illustrator or photographer: Please email email@example.com with the subject line 'Contributor: illustrator' or 'Contributor: photographer' and let us know your area of expertise/interest (e.g. perhaps you’re a fashion photographer, or would like to try more live music photography) – and please link us to your portfolio where possible rather than attaching large files.