The Skinny is an independent, creative company that seeks to connect curious readers with interesting artists and events. We have 21 employees and up to 350 freelance contributors at any one time. We aim to offer freedom within your role to work towards our company goals and business vision.
The Skinny are looking for a strong sales and marketing person to complement the core team and further drive business forwards.
The right candidate will be:
- Dynamic, with strong relationship building skills
- Determined, ambitious and driven
- Capable at achieving excellent results and meeting targets
- Able to work well under pressure and to deadline
- Have a keen sense of culture with an awareness of events in Scotland and beyond
In particular the candidate should have:
- Experience in professional sales, with a minimum one year's accountable track record
- A good understanding of the media environment in the UK, specially that which targets trend-setting audiences
- Knowledge of the digital sales market and contacts in print/ digital media sales
The role will involve:
- Cold calling and sourcing new business
- Client management
- Computer literacy
- Having a positive and friendly attitude
- Developing long term relationships
- Selling services in The Skinny, www.theskinny.co.uk and our weekly e-newsletter.
- Selling bespoke publications/ products throughout the year such as The Skinny Student Handbook
The Skinny prides itself on being forward thinking, supporting emerging talent and developing strong relations across Scotland - we hope that you would share these ideals and have the skills to develop our business further. If you think you have what it takes to join Scotland's leading culture and listings magazine, are keen to make the role your own, and become part of an ever expanding team and strong creative community then get involved.
Salary: £14,000 plus commission and bonus structure
OTE: £20K + - year one
Please send us your CV with a cover letter including:
1. An example of working to targets/ deadlines
2. A list of 5 brands/ potential clients you think would suit The Skinny, both in print and digitally
3. How you stand out from the crowd and what The Skinny will gain from your contribution to the team
(please keep it snappy and interesting)
If you've lost a friendship over Android vs iOS, if you have strong opinions about app design, if you daydream about niche gadgets, or if your heart beats faster for the burgeoning tech start-up scene, The Skinny wants to hear from you: we're looking for tech writers.
Previous experience is a plus, but not essential – our Tech editor will work with you to hone your stories. If you're enthusiastic and interested in chasing down an idea for a story, send a CV and some writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Skinny is looking for a selection of new venues editors to oversee the writing and creation of venue profiles on our website, for both our Manchester and Liverpool city sections in the Northwest, and also for our Glasgow city section in Scotland. We need people who are confident and accurate writers, with an engaging style, and a wide knowledge of the venues in their specialist city. The successful applicants will be expected to generate profiles quickly, in an informative – but not overly-opinionated – way, ensuring that each profile provides useful information for readers looking for somewhere to eat, drink and be merry. Applicants should have an awareness of The Skinny's house style and be comfortable carrying out research, and communicating with venues directly to source information and imagery where appropriate.
This is a voluntary position. We would expect our venues editors to be producing give or take 10 venue profiles of 150 words each per month.
Sound like something you’d like to do? Email a CV and some samples of writing to email@example.com.
The Skinny is your magazine: a collaborative effort, it’s put together by people who love their region and its culture, for people who love their region and its culture – and our contributors are known for having something new to say as well as a passion for their areas of expertise.
We are looking for writers, illustrators and photographers on an ongoing basis to help make The Skinny an informed, inspiring, witty and opinionated collection of the voices and talents that make Scotland and England's Northwest such exciting places to be.
With 55,000+ copies distributed to more than 1000 venues, The Skinny gives writers a platform to get their voice heard, and illustrators and photographers an opportunity to showcase their work and build their portfolio.
If you’re a writer: Please introduce yourself to the relevant section editor – see contact details here – and send them two or three samples of your work.
If you’re an illustrator or photographer: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'Contributor: illustrator' or 'Contributor: photographer' and let us know your area of expertise/interest (e.g. perhaps you’re a fashion photographer, or would like to try more live music photography) – and please link us to your portfolio where possible rather than attaching large files.
Any questions please email email@example.com