Ahead of its release on 8 June via Glasgow's Olive Grove Records, Americana imbued sextet Woodenbox share an early listen of their latest LP Foreign Organ, exclusively to The Skinny.
A year in the making, and "partly fuelled by post-referendum blues," mainstay Ali Downer offers an introduction and track-by-track account of the recording, which you can listen to in full below:
"We recorded Foreign Organ at our practice rooms, we wanted to make an album that we felt summed up the last few years of the band and the feeling of change that seems so electric in Scotland just now.
"It was a great opportunity to record without a strict schedule and try not to over polish or over edit the performances. The idea was not to be overly critical of the takes and try and make an honest replication of how we play.
We hope you likey."
– Ali Downer, June 2015
1. Somewhere New is an idea of utopia in the very place you exist... what happens when the buildings are gone? Will the wildlife be able to survive? Or have they adapted to the urban lifestyle... will the only thing left be plastic?
2. Life Decays is the idea of missing out on something by chasing the translucent pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Mix that with wishing your life away by wanting more.
3. More Girl Than Friend is the lost part of the friendship where primal needs overwhelm all else and sex is the only conversation that's needed yet the desire is never satisfied. The song also features Alex Kenzel and Cat Calton from our label mates, Skinny Dipper.
4. Roberto is the dark side of modern financial stresses.
5. A9 North is the conversation you have with your lover that always happens on the long drive somewhere. You make new plans as you are going somewhere, new but you always forget about them when you get home.
6. Directions And My Boy is a message to your son... don't waste your time in a job you don't like... never take the money over the dream.
7. Face Able is the annoying addictions of social networking.
8. Carbon Mold is a song to the band if he existed as a man.
9. Rust is the inability to be confident in yourself without always backing down... shake off the rust and do what you need.
10. Scotland What else needs to be said. The last song on the album was written after the referendum.
Woodenbox on tour
5 June – Nice N Sleazy, Glasgow: Album launch
6 June – Madhatters, Inverness
12 June – The Lemon Tree, Aberdeen
18-19 July – Isle of Bute Festival, Argyll
8 August – The Electric Circus, Edinburgh
9 August – Kelvingrove Bandstand, Glasgow
5 September – Jocktoberfest, The Black Isle